Angel City Arts has extended the dates for the 2013 Angel City Jazz Festival Young Artist Competition to September 8 for the submissions and September 21 for the finals.
The Angel City Arts Young Artist Competition is an avenue for young jazz musicians in the Los Angeles area to create and collaborate with one another in an effort to expand upon the traditional concepts of jazz and improvisation. The competition gives young musicians the opportunity to have their original music heard and evaluated by working jazz professionals, and the winners of the competition will have the opportunity to perform their music on Friday, October 4 at LACMA.
Four finalists will be announced on September 14, 2013. Selection emphasis for the four finalists will be placed on musicianship, composition, arranging skills, quality of improvised solos, group interaction, and uniqueness of sound.
The finalists will each perform a live set in front of a panel of judges at the courtyard of the Blue Whale, located at 123 Astronaut E S Onizuka St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 from 6pm to 8pm on September 21, and the winner will be announced at the end of the event.
This competition is open to all high-school and college-aged student jazz ensembles in the greater Los Angeles Area. In order to qualify for the competition the ensembles must:
- be composed of musicians between the ages of 16 and 21 years old
- have at least one member currently enrolled in a high school, college, music academy or university in the greater Los Angeles area
- consist of between 3 and 10 members
- compose, arrange and perform original music which features improvisation
- be available to perform at the courtyard of the Blue Whale on Saturday, September 21st from 6pm to 8pm if selected as a finalist, and on Friday, October 4th at 6pm if selected as the winning ensemble
Interested artists must submit a package by September 8, 2013. Required submissions items include:
- 3 tunes (mp3, mp4 or WAv)
- a letter of recommendation from a current music instructor
- cover letter including the personnel performing on each submitted tune and a brief history of the ensemble
Submissions should be made at https://angelcityarts.submittable.com/submit.