Angel City Arts, presenters of the Angel City Jazz Festival is proud to announce the second annual Angel City Jazz Young Artists Competition.
The competition is an avenue for young jazz musicians in the Los Angeles area to create and collaborate with one another in an effort to expand upon the traditional concepts of jazz and improvisation. In line with the theme of the 2012 Angel City Jazz Festival “Artists & Legends,” the competition will give young musicians the opportunity to have their original music heard and evaluated by working jazz professionals.
Submissions for the competition will be accepted until August 31, 2012, and four finalists will be announced on September 9, 2012. Selection emphasis for the finalists will be placed on musicianship, composition, arranging skills, quality of improvised solos, group interaction, and uniqueness of sound.
Competition finalists will perform a 30 minute set at noted Los Angeles jazz club Blue Whale on September 15, 2012, in front of a panel of judges consisting of legendary jazz performers and educators. The panel of judges will select a winning ensemble which will perform the opening set at the Angel City Jazz Festival free opening night event at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art on October 5, 2012. In addition, a $1000 cash prize will be awarded to the winner.
The competition is open to high school and college-aged student jazz ensembles in the greater Los Angeles Area. In order to qualify for the competition, the ensembles must:
- be composed of musicians between the ages of 16 and 21 years old
- have at least one member currently enrolled in a high school, college, music academy or university in the greater Los Angeles area
- obtain a recommendation letter from a current music instructor
- consists of between 3 and 10 members
- compose and arrange music which features improvisation
- be available to perform at the Blue Whale on Saturday, September 15th if selected as a finalist and on Friday, October 5th if selected as the winning ensemble
Interested artists must submit a package electronically before August 31st, 2012 here. Please enter the name of the ensemble in the title field of the submission form and include the following info in the cover letter:
- the personnel performing on each submitted tune
- a brief history of the ensemble
Also, please attach the following documents:
– 3 tunes (in mp3, mp4 or WAV files)
– 1 recommendation letter from a music instructor (pdf, doc, docx)
Competition rules are available at http://angelcityarts.org/young-artists-competition. For any questions regarding the competition please email firstname.lastname@example.org.